Friday, April 23, 2010

Meet the C's

Ok, I know, it has been a long time. So long, I debated on if I should do this again but I have been thinking about and thinking about it and have decided that it is time, so here we go.

If you have ever read this blog before, then you have probably gathered that the three C's are my children. They are the most important C's and they provide me with lots of funny material to share. I plan to continue to do that, but in the meantime, if you wish, you can learn more about them here.

Now this is the part I have been really thinking about. The other C's in my life. I have debated and debated over whether or not I should share them because not that many people know about these C's. I have Hepatitis C. No, I didn't not get it from a prison tattoo gone array, or by doing a string of x-rated movies in the 70's. I simply received a blood transfusion when I was born and thus the love affair with my liver began.

Out of 6 children, I am the only one who has never smoked, I don't drink, and I have never done drugs. See, it took my parents six times to get it right. Anywho, it is very amusing to me that out of the whole brood, I would be the one to end up with cirrhosis. I mean, there was the one time back in 2005 when I had a sip of a pina coloda while on vacation, and once I drank a half of a wine cooler at a friend's bachorlette party, and in high school, I may have drank less than a handful of times. LIVING ON THE EDGE, I know. But there it is, me, the one who walked the straight line, except for the whole pregnancy thing, is the one who ends up with a drunk liver. Go figure.

However, I decided to let you in on it, because it is a part of my life and at times, it can also be funny. Like this for example -

Thanksgiving a few years ago -
Sister- my head is killing me.
Me - really, it is my liver that's getting me.
Sister - not funny.

Liver biopsy 5 years ago -
Radiologist - if you don't mind me asking, how did you get cirrhosis at such a young age?
Me - middle school rocked.

Endoscopy last year -
Doctor - All I am going to do is put this tube down your throat, all you have to do is open wide.
Me - Why do I feel like I have heard this line before?
Doctor - laughed but turned 10 shades of red

It took me a long time to decide to do this because for people like me there is no pink or red ribbon and no one wears red for us on a Friday. There is a stigma attached with having something like this, but there should not be. You can't catch it unless you were thinking of asking me to be your blood sister or you like illness and carry needles in your pocket and go around jabbing people and then sticking yourself. I will assume you are not a needle-carrying maniac with a death wish. The truth is, there are lots of people out there just like me and I thought this would just be a good way to talk about it. So, if you would like to know more about me and the C's visit here.

Next post I will have to tell you about the recent birds and the bees talk we had with the big C. He's 12 and I hope we didn't scar him for life. So come back if you want, I am not going to turn this into a sad blog or anything. My liver may be jumping ship, but I am certainly not.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad to see you writing again and I admire your courage to share a story with such a personal nature.
    It still amazes me that the public is so misinformed about how you can get the Hep-C virus or that it has reached epidemic proportion. Prior to June of 1992, anyone receiving a blood transfusion, blood products or an organ donation was susceptible to the virus because screening hadn't yet become protocol. Many people don't realize this and some are potential victims of the virus and even latent carriers. The myth that Hep-C is an alcoholics disease or a drug users disease needs to be dispelled. Hep-C can be passed on in a number of different ways. It is also known as the Hidden Epidemic and it can take as long as 20 or 30 years before you start to see the effects.
    I wish you well and I encourage you to seek out any necessary treatment to beat the virus.

    -B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Beaux. I totally agree with everything you said. I certainly don't want to make a serious subject seem silly and I do want people to learn more about HCV and how it is spread. I also want people to see that although it is taxing to deal with a chronic illness, it doesn't change who you are. You know I have went through treatments twice and was a non-responder both times. I have my fingers crossed for the release of some new meds in 2011. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was born with HCV as well as my son... Yup fellow party animals!!
    Keep the humor, you know what they say... you can either laugh or cry sometimes, and crying only gives you a headache!
    You can check out Larry's site too and share whatever you want... since you too have been dealing with it since a youngin' Larry's site is less on me and more on liver health, kids with HCV, donation stories @ www.larrysantics.blogspot.com I would love to hear other ways of taking care of Larry and your Quiverin' Liver lol.
    Look forward to reading more!!

    ReplyDelete